Thursday 17 September 2020

Selling a house



My house for sale proverb: "She who puts her house on the market 10 days before pandemic lockdown is in for the long haul." Just saying.

Deciding to sell our house was a big decision, it is for everyone. There were many reasons why living here was no longer easy and we felt we did not have years to ponder the whys and wherefores. Once the decision was made, Steve went ahead with selling his business. This in itself has taken two years!

So hurrah, the "For Sale" sign was finally hammered into the front garden and along comes Covid. The sign remained there mocking me all through lockdown. We live at the end of a small cul de sac and as lockdown eased a steady procession of cars took an awful long time reversing at our dead end whilst the passenger craned their neck to have a good look!

Steve hated the viewings. An Englishman's home is his castle and all that. Whilst he readily welcomes friends and family, he does not relish strangers wandering through, making judgements upon said castle. Neither do I really and some of these strangers were indeed a little strange. But I found their quirks and conversations fascinating. 

There was the man who came ready prepared with huge metallic tape measure and asked if he could  measure the ceilings! He also asked to see the fuse board in readyness for connecting his hot tub. His line of questioning was sublime ....  "And what kind of sinks do you have? (stainles steel or porcelain, depending upon location) and where are they?" (in the kitchen or bathroom, I'm boring that way) . 

Mind you,  we did once view a house ourselves which had  an avocado colour  bathroom sink in the middle of the living room with a shelf over which they grandly called "the bar area" but that, as they say, is another story!

One couple told me all about their recent surgical operations, a bit off-putting, just before lunch.

One lady wistfully told me she didn't really want to leave Australia but she had come home to take care of elderly relatives, one of whom has Parkinson's which depressed me somewhat. I am not moving to become a burden to my kids. But then who knows?

One gauche young woman came in and exclaimed how wonderful, she loved doing up houses! Her partner added hastily and tactfully that this house would not need much doing to it. In the garden she found the gazebo and shouted across the lawn, "How cute, we could get married in the garden!" He looked like a rabbit caught in the headlights. I  continued the tour savouring each awkward outburst. She went on to admire all my houseplants which I have propagated myself and told me I should go into business as they would sell like hot cakes. Steve by this time had lost the will to live.

There was the young man who gave me his life story right back to his childhood spent living in a house just round the corner. He said he wanted to come back to his roots. I didn't think his wife looked so keen. I wasn't sure he had noticed her concern. On leaving, he said he wanted to buy the house, she smiled weakly but her steely eyes said, "Not a chance, mate." I felt more counsellor than house vendor. 

There were the  efficient "charge-rounders"; in and out like a flash. And the "blimey, will I ever get rid of them?"  lingerers. 

But chatty or succinct, quick or slow, young or old their reasons for moving seemed very similar; the need to be near family. Many said lockdown had made them re-evaluate priorities.

We all wore masks and I wonder if the need for masks perhaps made people feel more vulnerable: naturally quiet people became quieter, chatty people became chattier? Maybe. 

I enjoyed meeting them; all of them. I enjoyed hearing their stories.  I learned what not to say when it is my turn to be the viewing potential buyer!

And as each left I wished them good luck and safe journey.  

We were losing all hope of a sale. I had a quiet two hours pondering alone on Saturday trying to work out if we are doing the right thing. I prayed a lot; not for a sale but for guidance and reassurance. 

On Tuesday our elusive buyer appeared. Whilst others had considered the house "too large, too small, too far from town, not far enough, too much work, not enough work, not quite right," our very own Goldilocks considered it to be just right. 

So we are now searching for our new home.

 When I speak to selling agents I am daring myself to use as many over used, tv property show, cliches as possible....... "I want somewhere light and airy. It must be characterful, modern with clean lines and a good flow. The surrounding area must be quiet and peaceful but with opportunities for me to engage in lots of social activities. It must feel right, be big enough to host Christmas for the Waltons whilst being intimate and cosy for just the two of us for the rest of the year. I want to bring the outside in and the inside out.The garden must be well manicured with a riot of colour but must be low maintenance. The house must reflect our characters but I want to put my own stamp on it with a pop of colour."  Have I forgotten anything? 🤣🤣🤣

TTFN,

L.x



10 comments:

  1. If you're going to do it properly you also need to have a large kitchen with room for a table so that when you have parties everyone can congregate there while the meal is being prepared!

    Good luck with the house hunting.

    ReplyDelete
  2. So happy you have sold. Now you need to go on 'Escape to the Country' TV programme!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that programme especially if Alistair Appleton is hosting. Their budgets are crazy and they all look about 12 years old!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hilarious! You're so funny, Lynn! Here you don't get to tour with the realtor when you are selling, but a lot of people have cameras and the seller can hear all the things people say (sometimes not very encouraging!) I'm so glad it's over (that part) and now you can start the fun hunt for a great house for you guys!
    Keep me posted. I love house hunting (other people's house hunting! LOL!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, happy birthday at the end of the week. We seem to be spending a lot of time filling in forms! Hope you are well x

      Delete
  5. Lynn your descriptions of potential buyers did make me giggle especially as we are in a similar position with selling my late mums flat. Such a long drawn out faff. Your wish list sounds perfect and I really hope you find somewhere really special for your new home quickly.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley, Sorry about you mum. Good luck wishes for a sale soon. We have not found a house so need to rent in the meantime. I am trying to take it one decluttering day at a time. ☺

      Delete
  6. After reading this I feel extremely lucky and a little embarrassed that I showed one 70 year old woman on crutches round our three storey house and sold it in a pandemic! I had written her off as our first visitor with many more house cleans to come over the months but she bought it on Monday morning for cash, no chain, for the asking price! It was a great feeling so I feel your pain showing so many around but also your joy in selling your house. Thanks for dropping by my blog. Jo x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Jo ... don't be embarrassed. I am pleased it went so well for you and I love your new house. x

      Delete