Wednesday 2 September 2020

Contentment in hard times.

 First of all, thank you for all your lovely comments on my last post. I have had my usual mix of good and bad nights; more good than bad this week!

My middle of the night time reading has been this book .

I think I am already a contented person. I've always remembered Paul writing that he had learnt to be content in all circumstances and I aspire to this.  I wanted to read this as the author talks about finding contentment in middle age when children have flown the nest, you may lose health, loved ones, jobs etc and must follow a new path. She talks calmly. It is like talking with a friend. I found myself highlighting sections. I am about half way through and am finding it to be a very soothing read. It's very much "what shall I do next with my life ?" The author chooses a  yoga teacher training  course which I have enjoyed reading about too. Maybe I have enjoyed it because I am reading in the dead of the night when a soothing account is much appreciated. 
My most favourite books are slow, calm reads. I may be shallow but I only read calm, happy stuff. Thrillers, suspense, drama, mysteries, blood and guts reading genres just aren't me!

So August faded gently into September.  The morning and evening air is fresher and the days shorter. The evening skies have been beautiful. I have been using an astronomy app which explains the night sky you are looking at. Last night, apparently the bright cluster of lights were planets,  Saturn, Jupiter and Pluto ...l amazing!

 Even the early evening glimpses of the moon delight me. 


Sky watching teaches me how small I am within the universe and thus how small my worries and concerns are too. It helps!

With shorter days comes cooler starts and ends to the days. The heating has been on some days and we had our first log fire.

We also had our first porridge breakfast. I added a swirl of lemon curd and blueberries. Comfort food. Excuse the stirring spoon plonked in the  bowl! 




We have had a lot of rain so my gardening has been indoors.

I rooted basil cuttings from a supermarket plant. Each time I used some leaves in cooking I cut the stem and put it in an old jar filled with water on the window ledge. 




A large top heavy kalanchoe toppled over breaking six branches off. I placed them in a jug of water hoping they might develop roots. 




They are now all potted up together with the promise of flowers budding up nicely.




This jade plant was shedding its leaves and dying off. I read that it likes a sunny position. I had it in a gloomy spot. Now I have moved it it has grown 3 inches in just a few weeks and one of its fallen leaves has rooted!


My sanseveira cuttings are now growing well and are ready to be potted on.


I like propogating plants.  You get happy gardening results with little physical strength required,  no need of a spade and you can do it sitting down too!

Unusually for me, I have felt really bad tempered lately. I put it down to all the Covid stuff; people arguing about wearing masks, jobs being lost, people meeting at huge events leading to fears of virus spikes.etc. There seems to be a lack of empathy and thought for others. It just all got to me. I think I was even a bit snappy with Steve. As we climbed into bed one evening, I said wearily to him, "Do you know, you're the only person I've actually liked today." He grinned, "Well, that's good to know!" 

My best friend and I decided yesterday that a safety-managed meet up should now be ok. She is a retired nurse and I respect her views that we should be ok.. So she came round for a socially distanced  cup of tea and a chat. We bought each other flowers! We put the Covid world to rights!

And now September is here and my equilibrium is happily returning. I realise that I am constantly learning; this week  about planets, plants and people. I feel calm again and contented with life. I think Covid will not only continue through Autumn but escalate too. But I must follow advised precautions and then just carry on carrying on, happily and contentedly. 

Much love,
L.x. 


12 comments:

  1. I'm bothered by the seeming lack of thought for others by some people. I've noticed it in a couple of my friends and can't decide whether it's always been there or is a reaction to the lockdown.

    I had my first face to face meeting with a friend this week. I hope your meet with your friend cheered you up as much as mine did. I agree with you about Covid continuing and quite likely getting worse again, but all we can do is keep taking sensible precautions and continuing to live the best life we can.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I had friends who broke lockdown rules on a daily basis. I have also been told we can not hide from the virus forever. My reply is ... Well yes I can if I have to!
      Meeting my friend was lovely.

      Delete
  2. I too am amazed at the pure stupidity of people who refuse to follow the lockdown protocols, they don't seem to worry about their own health and care even less bout others. That's why despite the lifting of many lockdown restrictions the Senior Partner and I are staying home apart from walking Fleur in the park when the weather is nice and running to the store for groceries. Thank you for the tip n propagating basil, I'm going to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes we are still avoiding busy places, Maggie. How different life is. Good luck with the basil.

      Delete
  3. Wow, you really have got green fingers, Lynn, I'm amazed at all the roots which have appeared! I never think to try rooting supermarket stuff. Re your night time reading....I think you'll like Milly Johnson as much as I do. Many of her stories involve women who are disillusioned, downtrodden or have lost their way in life somehow and they end up being strong and purposeful. Just what I need to read right now :)
    Glad you got to meet your friend. I'm certainly missing my friends at the moment but, like you, we intend to play by the rules. Stay safe x

    ReplyDelete
  4. My friend says I am green fingered too, but I'm not really. Over the years I have learnt "careful neglect"!! I used to over water , forever disturb cuttings to see if they're rooting etc. Now I just leave them alone and water less. Meeting my friend again was lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great propagation technique with the jug of water. I use this method for Pelargoniums ( Geraniums )too and it works a treat. I enjoy working in the garden as well but find I have to set myself limits on the amount I do or else I have to suffer the consequences of too many aching joints. Slow and steady for me.
    I am so glad you were able to meet up with your friend and hope you will be able to do that again soon.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Beverley, I'm going to do another batch of pelargonium cuttings this week. I managed to over-winter 8 plants this year and took 2 cuttings which are also in flower. I like propagation cos it is saving me a fortune!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there, thank you for visiting my house post. I have just started to grow some house plants so I will be popping in here again for more tips. Your basil plants have fabulous roots. Jo xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hello dear Lynn! You're inspiring! I think I'll do a little more indoor gardening this fall and winter, too!
    I'm glad you and your BFF were able to put the Covid world to rights! Yay!
    It's raining here today and soon it is supposed to turn to snow. Yikes!
    Take care, sweet friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We have warmer weather at the moment. You had snow just before our visit last year - a whole year passed. I find indoor gardening very relaxing. x

      Delete