Tuesday 18 August 2020

Blow out the candles, make a wish!

 


Last week it was my birthday. Fifty seven, how did that happen? Another Government  mix up, as we all know I am only 39 and my middle name is Peter Pan!

My youngest son, Alex, came home for a week. This is just the second time we have seen him since Christmas. When lockdown eased we met him in the grounds of a National Trust property for a picnic. We speak every week on the phone for an hour or so but seeing each other in person was marvellous. He managed lockdown alone, working from home, I think he is amazing.

We travelled to see our other sons and their families. This was the first birthday in more than 10 years that I saw all my sons together on my birthday.  Work commitments and living more than 100 miles apart means I tend to see them separately throughout the birthday week. We were able to meet together for 3 whole days! The weather was glorious so we spent the days outdoors in either of my son's gardens; catching up, chatting, quizzing and playing with our grandchildren aged nearly three, 9 months and 6 weeks. It was my best birthday ever! 

We had all been previously self isolating so hopefully we were as virus safe as possible.

Unsurprisingly, I am now exhausted and have spent a lot of time in bed, fast asleep!

For my birthday present from Stephen I had wanted a bee keeper's experience day. I have no intention of keeping my own hive but I wanted to learn more and actually handle the bees. Steve was going to come too. This will have to wait now due to the chaos that is Covid. 

Covid 19 ....so much of life has changed, but I am so grateful we remain safe thus far. I think that, like a lot of people, I now live with the constant niggle of low level fear for the future. Will we get the virus? Will we lose our jobs in the impending recession? Can we really come through this unscathed? Those who have had the virus or lost loved ones are constantly on my mind. I pray daily for the strength to remain a cheerful support for my family, so far so good. I keep smiling. 

My birthday wish as I blew out the candles must remain secret or else it won't come true!! But it was a heartfelt mother's wish, no doubt wished by many through the ages and across the world.


6 comments:

  1. Belated Birthday Wishes xx

    I too have that constant low level of fear which I do my best to ignore, so I don't feed the fear and let it overwhelm me. All we can do is to be sensible and keep ourselves as safe as is possible but it seems never ending, doesn't it? I'm glad you got to see all your sons at the same time, that must mean a lot you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Eileen x
      I think most people are fearful. But there is so much beauty in the world that I think of those things instead. I have a happy list which I refer to when I need refreshing. On it are easy things to do that cheer me up. I wrote it for days when I am housebound or even bed bound but it comes in handy whenever these days!

      Delete
  2. How lovely to see your family on a birthday day! I can imagine exhaustion after travelling.
    I have consciously pushed away the depressing and fearful thoughts every time they come. I sometimes remember a bible verse, or just go and talk to my garden flowers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Barbara, yes I go back to Philippians 4 for a pick me up or water my pot plants!

      Delete
  3. Happy Birthday Lynn, Glad you were able to spend such a special time with family.

    ReplyDelete