Thursday 22 October 2020

Decluttering, heads down and carrying on carrying on!

 Still decluttering. Surely every home has a box of mystery keys for who knows where? Or what about a box of shoe polishes which include unusual colours for shoes which were thrown out years ago? And what about multiple copies of the exact same photo, or blurred photos with the person's head chopped off? We are slowly working our way through such horrors. 

Today's joyful decluttering escapade was old paint tins, each containing a tiny amount of left over paint. We took advice from the local recycling /waste disposal centre about how to safely throw them away. So two grown ups (allegedly) stood mixing soil into the paint dregs to make a thick paste which apparently is then safe to chuck it into the recycling skips at the tip. As I stirred the paint/soil gunk I pondered upon how the 7 year old Lynn would have loved this, and how the 57 year old Lynn was also enjoying the mess.

All in all, it has been a tough week. We are both in pain; Steve has bursitis, mine is the usual Parkinsons stuff and we are both tired. My blood has been too thick so I have had to inject anti coagulants. 

The washing machine has been broken for 3 weeks so I had  to use the local laundrette again. The engineer mended it on Wednesday but didn't install the seal properly but I managed to get that right -  took me half an hour and a lot of naughty words. 

The house survey was done, a bit stressy with the surveyor wandering through the house jumping up and down on floorboards, knocking walls, whilst making notes. At one point I looked out of the window to find him up a ladder inspecting the conservatory roof. We both jumped in surprise.

On Friday we spent the afternoon in a freezing  cold  storage office going through paperwork from Steve's business ... keep, chuck, file, store, repeat. Saturday we delivered my mother's shopping.

It all seems a bit relentless, to be honest. But we tell ourselves it will all be worth it. The irony of it all is that we are moving to be near family. But they are all in local lockdown and likely to remain so for a while, so we will move and still not be able to see them!


So let's find some happy from this week.....



On Saturday evening Strictly Come Dancing returned on TV. It would appear that the nation's hoarding tendencies remain focused upon toilet paper and pasta. Sequins and fake tan supplies still seem good to go, each celebrity sporting an orange glow and sparkling bright! I love Strictly, though I do find the first programme of the series when they meet their dancing partner all a bit OTT and cringey. But it will be good escape viewing. 

7:30pm each evening we have entered the happy world of Bob Ross.


I don't care what he paints I just love listening to his gentle chatter and wise words. We have a bet how many minutes into the show he'll say one of his catchphrases like  "happy little tree".

With cooler weather, I've made soups. This was carrot and parsnip.


Today I made roast red pepper soup served with walnut bread and cheese.  Delicious but I have made a rod for my own back here as I don't think I could enjoy a shop bought soup ever again. Even those posh soups in the refrigerator; they taste gloopy and synthetic compared to homemade. 

Autumn colour and light has been so lovely. So much so that I felt encouraged to go walking. Just round the block, the first time in months. I staggered home exhausted but happy. I hope to try again at the weekend.

The garden is a mix of Summer meets Autumn.
 








Pelargoniums, marigolds and salvia sit side by side with Winter pansies, holly berries, and cyclamen,  each seemingly competing for attention.

The pattern of my days is declutter, cook something tasty, take note of the changing seasons, sleep, repeat. 
But all is good. 
But in these Covid times I feel nervous/guilty saying this.

TTFN
L.x. 



18 comments:

  1. Your photograph of cyclamens reminded me of a happy moment in the garden this week of discovering a clump of them flowering behind the apple tree. This has been a 'grey' week somehow, but one just has to look for the bright spots here and there to help us through!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. These were from last year too. Well chuffed!

      Delete
  2. So many bright colours in your garden even now. I planted little cyclamen and they are such a joy.
    It is very hard sorting out the things that one has amassed over the years.....just in case. Hope it will be smoother waters soon. x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm really pleased with the cyclamen as they are last year's and can come with us for a cheery patio. I feel the decluttering must surely nearly be done! Thanks for visiting,

      Delete
  3. I haven't bothered with Strictly but do catch the Bob Ross programme occasionally. I agree about the soups - homemade wins every time!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It took me years to get soup right. Now I do it most days.

      Delete
  4. You are doing all the right things, Lynn. I think when we realize how many boxes it takes to contain all of our things, that's when we can't believe how many possessions we've accumulated. Your garden is still so pretty. We are having freezing weather in the next few days. Sweater weather, for sure. Today I have boots on my feet and a YouTube fire on the tv. Time for coffee. (BIG HUG!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I feel ashamed I have so much. Stay warm.x

    ReplyDelete
  6. My goodness, Bob Ross, what memories he brings back. My dad loved watching his programmes and inspired him to take up painting in his later years. I agree homemade soup is just the best x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Beverley. Yes Bob Ross does bring back memories, doesn't he? I first watched his programme as a new mom whilst I fed my baby. I'm so glad these programmes are being repeated. There was also a programme about his life which was good.

      Delete
  7. I'm so sorry you guys have aches and pains. We do, too. Because we're old and creaky!
    Some days I am so lazy - well make that A LOT of days lately!
    Sorting through all the paperwork must have been a mammoth job. Well done!
    I have never like those house inspections. I always felt compelled to clean, clean, clean, and they only look at pipes and furnaces!
    Take care, sweet friend. I hope you are enjoying Advent and the sweet hopeful build up of joy at Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Karen, thanks for visiting. Happy Christmas! I am looking forward to some lazy days! x

      Delete
  8. Brilliant post, you have my sense of humour ... I wondered where it had gone!! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thank you for your encouraging comment on my blog as we go through this house selling and buying, but where are you.. moved? Love to hear you have and all's well.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello Chris. Yes we moved into rental on Feb 1st and found a house to buy at the end of Feb. There is no chain so we should complete during May, It needs a lot of work doing to it so we shall stay here whist it's done and hopefully move in in August. I have neglected my blog as my health has been a bit up and down and I've felt exhausted. Back soon and thanks for leaving a comment.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm glad you got moved safely into the rental, yes far better to stay happily there while the work is done, we are doing exactly the same. Although whether Alan will actually be moving into his house or be buried under the patio near it is in the balance, as we seem to agree on nothing. I mean we're only sharing the bloody garden and that is causing more arguments than we have ever had!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sue... house purchase fell through.. mega problem on survey so back to Rightmove! Good luck with the garden/new patio 😆 🤣 😂

      Delete