Thursday 9 July 2020

Catching up and getting ahead

   


We woke to yet more rain. As I waited for the kettle to boil I watched the birds at the feeders, they were wet and a bit bedraggled and apparently starving. The garden looked battered, water dripping from leaves and branches, flowers bowing their heads under the weight of the water. But the garden seemed happy nonetheless, no longer parched and dry as it was a few weeks ago. It all looked lovely and lush.

Later in the morning the rain slowed somewhat and the gardener arrived and cut the grass in the drizzle. With the window slightly ajar I tackled a backlog of ironing to the gentle buzz of the lawn mower and the smell of cut grass whilst listening to Nella Last's Peace on Audible. It was a pleasant half hour.

Tomorrow we are travelling to see our son and his family. Their second baby is just over a week old. We will take lunch and tea with us to save them, they have enough to do! So I cooked sausages and then put them in a leek, thyme and chicken stock gravy. I added baked beans and then topped it all with mash which I browned off.

I try to cook once and eat twice (or more). So I kept back some sausage and we had sausage,egg, beans and chips for lunch. So no need to cook this evening!

I reserved some of the leek, thyme, chicken gravy and froze it. It is lovely added to microwave rice with mushrooms, bacon and or chicken and eats like a risotto without the effort - so another win, win.

After all this I am tired so this afternoon I have rested up. July 9th and we are  sitting here in front of a log fire. Don't you just love an English Summer !

4 comments:

  1. Hello darling dear! LOVE IT that you have a new blog! LOVE LOVE LOVE!
    Oh, your rain and our scorching heat!
    I'm going down to get Chinese food for us for our dinner tonight. We need a little lift as the heaviness of all the covid oppression and the political junk gets to us sometimes.
    I'm so happy about your new grand! How wonderful!
    I love Nella, as you know. Perhaps I'll read a bit of hers tonight.
    Take care and know that you are loved and prayed for!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Karen, lovely to see you here! Enjoy your dinner it sounds delicious. xx

      Delete
  2. You paint such marvelous pictures with you words. I actually enjoyed catching up on your ironing with you :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Connie, you're a gem. You've made my day xx

      Delete