Tuesday 14 July 2020

Lockdown made me do it!


Normally (I can' t really remember normal times!) Steve and I visit our hairdressers once a month. Our hair grows quickly and we hate to look untidy. Several of my meds warn, "may cause hair loss" but thus far I still have very thick, wavy hair that needs taming regularly. So early on in lockdown I knew that we would have to learn to cut our own hair. So I did some research and put in an online order.



Steve was horrified! "It's ok - the colour is for me," I joked.

 But needs must and all that and we have been cutting each other's hair regularly throughout lockdown. I have to say, we have done a good job; so much so,  that we are happy to continue for a while longer rather than risk visiting the hairdresser. I am supposedly more at risk of Covid and quite frankly, even with all the measures in place, I think a hairdresser's appointment would no longer be the fun experience it once was nor worth the (no doubt, small) risk. 

Cutting our own hair has been an experience. Saying mid hair cut, "I think I'll put my glasses on," does not inspire confidence apparently. Such a fuss about nothing! Steve does not talk about holidays, fashion, weight loss nor put the world to rights as he cuts my hair as he says he can not talk and cut like a real hairdresser can. The look of concentration on his face reminds me of school and teaching the children to read or write! He told our son that he'd never had a cup of tea at the hairdresser's before, though he did have to make it himself! Oh and his new hairdresser was still in her pyjamas (I was saving showering/hair washing/ dressing until after he had cut my hair) which he thought a bit casual! 

My Dad was a hairdresser. He hated it when people chopped their own hair and he had to put it right. Sorry, Dad!





4 comments:

  1. That was brave! Mine is just getting longer and longer and......

    ReplyDelete
  2. I cut my own hair during lockdown. I have naturally curly hair so cutting it myself wasn't the easiest thing I've ever done. My hairdresser has resumed work now so will cut it properly on Friday - I have apologised in advance. I'm in the high risk group so was unsure whether to go ahead but decided the risk is minimal. She comes to my house, masks will be worn, and she has been shielding because her brother has leukaemia so it should be okay.

    Thanks for commenting on my blog. I'm following you now so look forward to getting to know you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Enjoy your haircut, Eileen and welcome. 😊

      Delete